Saturday 8 October 2005

Hake in Red Pepper Sauce Recipe

For breakfast it's the usual three Weetabix then nothing until about 5.30 pm when we have some really excellent Hake, known as Merluza in Spain where it is more popular than in England.

Hake is a really good fish for cooking, quite firm and solid. I think it's a bit like Cod, in fact I've just noticed in Wikipedia, my preferred online Encyclopedia, that both fish are members of the same family, the Gadidae. I guess Cod is way more expensive now it's nearly all gone.

This fish dish is cooked in a casserole dish with a sauce of Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Garlic and Mushrooms in a pre-heated oven at about 175ÂșC for an hour or so, maybe 90 minutes.

I eat it with 2 medium microwaved potatoes and, as usual, a mountain of salad. Light, filling and tastes wonderfully of the sea; this is what a diet should be like!

Night nibbles include the last of both the Gouda and the Potato Salad in a brown bread sandwich, two small bun-like cakes, two squares of Chocolate Fondant, two chocolate sandwich biscuits and, just before I wrote this, another three Weetabix, which kind of undoes the good work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home